"Every day we are called to small things with Great Love."

Friday, December 10, 2010

Give thanks and Give and Give

As Thanksgiving came upon us this year we were reflecting on all the blessing we have and all that we are thankful for. We were also reflecting and praying about how we can give to those in need. We live a pretty tight budget and often times feel like we can not give much. We do think it is very important to give especially of your time, and also of goods, and services to help meet needs of people in the community. We also really want to teach our children to do the same.

My Mom works for the LA mission and every year they close down a street serve Thanksgiving meal to those whom don't have a home. They also wash their feet, and give them a brand new pair of shoes and socks. My mom had invited us to come and just see and observe. I had always been hesitant because of the kids. I thought this year we would just come for a bit towards the end..to support my Mom in what she does. When we arrived..Joshua dropped me and J off..then he took the girls to go find parking. J and I went right over the the foot washing tent wear my mom was. I askes "Mom hows it going". She said "Its going good, but we need more foot washers, the others have gone to lunch". I was not planning on washing feet at all! But at that moment I said I will do it! There was a need, and I was there. So I got down on my knees and stared washing feet. My Son Joshua stood right behind me and just watched. I washed feet for about 30min, and then everyone was done. I was so glad that I did it. You might wonder was it gross? Yes it was...but in that moment it did no matter at all! It did not even phase me really. J had so many questions afterward. He knew that we were helping and serving people that were in need. He knows that Jesus calls us to do this, and that he did it while he was on earth. It was such a great conversation to have with my son!

Another opportunity we had was through Redeemed riders. Redeemed Riders is the Motorcycle ministry Joshua is a part of. I also attend when I can. This year they were taking volunteers to adopt a family in need, and to provide them with a Thanksgiving meal. The turkeys were donated, but all the other fixings needed to be provided. Again it was so great to shop with the kids and talk about the food we were buying and who the food would be going to. The Sunday before Thanksgiving all the riders got together and delivered all the meals, and prayed for each family. These meals went to people in the community who had a need.

Below are pictures of the meals and prayer time with families.



1 comment:

Becky @ beckykeife.com said...

What an amazing example to J of truly living the life Jesus calls us to. Thanks for sharing! I enjoy reading about your family.